Saturday, May 18, 2013

Day 6 -- To Taipei


Today we say goodbye to our Japanese friends :( I have had a very interesting time with all of them, and they will be missed. Some of them are studying abroad in Boone soon, so I'll definitely see them there! They all wrote notes on and signed a kind of plaque as a farewell gift. It was really nice! I'm hoping to keep in touch using an App called LINE, which is kind of like facebook, emoji, and free texting rolled into one. Here's a picture of the AMAZING HAND-MADE present they gave me.

The front
The back


This rather melancholy post follows an extremely stressful morning. I woke up this morning wearing my clothes from Tokyo. I groggily looked around, as it slowly dawned on my that I had fallen asleep. Then there was that sudden realization: "I have under 30 minutes to pack all of my belongings, including all the new stuff still in the box, into my already mostly full suitcases, or I'm going to miss my flight to Taipei."

Quickly, I brushed my teeth, ran around frantically, packed ALMOST everything, double checked, triple checked, and still managed to leave my pillow, phone charger, and watch. That was all I lost though, so all in all not TOO big of a deal. I can buy a cheap phone charger in Taipei, and the pillow wasn't a necessity, though it was nice. My watch has been a pain to be without, and I may just snag a new one, though I'm not entirely convinced it's not just mixed up in my luggage somewhere.

My first impression of Taiwan is hot, humid, huge, extremely busy, and dirty. It's like the state fair and New York had a child. That said, the stores are awesome, the night life is exciting, and crossing the street is living on the edge (if you jay walk you're pretty much dead). I suppose that sounds bad, but I mean it in a kind of endearing way. I suppose I'm a huge sucker for big cities with flashing lights.







For dinner, we went to a toilet themed restaurant. Rather than try to explain, please observe:
















After we finished dinner, we simply checked out the subways, then went to bed. I'm going to try to learn a little Chinese, but Dr. Chen says that a lot of people here speak English or Japanese, so I'm in luck!

2 comments:

  1. "It's like the state fair and New York and a child."

    Did you mean had? I figure that was a mistake, but had me laughing at the thought of what I read.

    And I could never go to a restaurant like that, with my aversion to all bodily issues. *shudder* Was it good tho?

    ~Gab

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I meant. Fixed.

      And yes, it was great!

      Delete